This is a favorite around here, especially for me. Our white bread for market is slightly different and a much larger quantity, but this is the recipe that it started from.
Summerfield Herb Farm Easy White Bread
A delicious simple white bread that can be used as the base for many flavorful breads like rosemary garlic bread.
Write a review
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups flour (approximately)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package or 1 tablespoon yeast
- Heat water, milk, and butter until 115 to 120 degrees (butter may not be fully melted and it's ok).
- Combine in mixer bowl, 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- Add liquid mixture and beat at low speed for 2 minutes, you may need to scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl with a mixing spatula or spoon (please not while the mixer is running 😉 )
- With mixer on low, and with dough hook, add 1 cup of flour and beat for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 more cups of flour, slowly, then let mix for another 5 minutes (still on slow setting).
- Add small amounts of flour until the dough ball begins to pull away from sides of mixing bowl.
- Remove mixing bowl from mixer and dough hook from the dough.
- With floured hands, form a rough ball of dough in the bottom of the mixing bowl, spray it with a thin coat of cooking spray, and lay a damp towel over the bowl to let dough rise.
- When dough has doubled (approximately 30 minutes, give or take) and with floured hands, remove dough from bowl onto floured work table surface (you may use spatula or spoon to help it out).
- Split into two even parts and with a dusting of flour, knead briefly, then form into a loaf and place into a loaf pan and repeat for the other one.
- Let rise until doubled (approximately 20 minutes, give or take)
- Bake 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from bread pans and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- For a nice finish, brush butter around the outside of each loaf right after removing from bread pan.
- If you aren't using a machine, after line 5 remove dough from mixing bowl and knead for 5 minutes adding very small amounts of flour as needed to keep it from being too sticky to work.
- If you'd like to turn this into an herb bread here are some suggestions
- Basil Bread - 1/2 cup fresh chopped or 1/4 cup dry basil
- Italian Herb Bread - 1/8 cup dry Italian seasoning
Adapted from Unknown
Adapted from Unknown
Summerfield Herb Farm https://www.summerfieldherbfarm.com/